Friday, February 11, 2011

Grant Proposal!

I did it! I finally finished my grant proposal! I sent it off today and it felt oh so good.
Next stop: Kickstarter.com

Grant Proposal






project name
Interwoven: Hands-On Healing Activity Kit

target audience
Female Chemotherapy Patients: Ages 15-60

medium
Print: Instruction Booklet, Packaging: Pre-assembled Kit

context in which the final result will be seen
Printed instruction booklets and branded craft kits will be distributed at no charge to chemotherapy patients

project overview
I decided to design the Interwoven: Hands-On Healing Kit while sitting with my mom in the waiting room at Siteman Cancer Center in 2010. She was receiving chemotherapy treatment for breast cancer (which is now in remission). Art activities were offered in the waiting room at Siteman, but most patients only spent a short period of time in the waiting room before treatment. Upon leaving the waiting room, patients would be ushered back to a chemotherapy “pod,” which is a small room lined with chairs and beds, where they spent up to 8 hours receiving infusions. I spent a few months observing how patients and their visitors passed the time. Most watched television, read, slept or talked with other patients. I decided that I wanted to provide them with calming and distracting activities that were more productive and engaging than watching television or sleeping.

The final packaging and instructional design project will be a craft activity kit for women undergoing chemotherapy treatment or their visitors. Each kit will include materials and illustrated instructions detailing how to complete five different craft projects. The five projects will be color coded and ranked according to their level of difficulty and physical energy required to complete. The use of the kits will also promote camaraderie amongst patients and nurses by encouraging the patients to give the crafts as gifts upon their completion. During my observation, I realized that some patients were desperately searching for a conversation starter and the craft activities gave them a perfect ice breaker. 

Craft Activites:
Origami Paper Gift Box
Bright Yarn Lei
Fuzzy Pom Pom Caterpillar
Band Aid Pillow
Cozy Knitted Scarf

desired outcome
There are two desired outcomes for my design: 1. The kits provide chemotherapy patients with a calming distraction to treatment 2. They encourage fellowship and open communication between patients, creating a sense of community within a chemo “pod.” 

If I receive funding for this project, I will be able to purchase packaging, all craft materials (shown on the attached file) and pay for the printing costs for each instructional booklet. I would like to provide at minimum 30 kits at no charge to patients at Siteman Cancer Center in St. Louis, Missouri. I have already partnered with the director of the Arts + Healthcare program at the hospital so, with funding, this project has a 100% chance of being distributed. I have also received a lot of positive feedback when I requested yarn donations on my blog (http://craftastherapy.blogspot.com/) so I hope to spread the money a bit further after receiving donations and increase the numbers of kits I can produce to 50. 


1 comment:

  1. I saw so many testimonies about Dr Itua a great HERBAL DOCTOR that can cure all kind of diseases and give you the rightful health to live a joyful life, i didn't believe it at first, but as the pain got worse and my life was at risk after visiting my therapist numeriuos times for combination of treatments. and no changes so i decided to take a try, I contacted him also and told him i want a cure for Vulvar cancer/ Testicular cancer and it was Stage IIIA, he gave me advice on what i must do and he delivered it to me in my state which i use according to his instruction, and today i must say I am so grateful to this man Dr Itua for curing me from Vulvar cancer/ Testicular cancer and for restoring me back to my normal health and a sound life,i am making this known to every one out there who have been living with cancers all his life or any sick person should not waist more time just contact him with his details below- WhatsApp- +2348149277967 Email drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com, believe me this man is a good man with Godly heart, this is the real secret we all have been searching for. Do not waste more time contact him today for you also to live a sound and happy life. he cure the following disease________Thyroid Cancer,Uterine cancer,Fibroid,Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Brain Tumor,Fibromyalgia, Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Bladder cancer,Brain cancer,Hiv,Herpes,Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,Hodgkin lymphoma
    Intestinal cancer,Kidney cancer,Hpv,Lung cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Multiple myeloma,Neuroendocrine tumors
    Non-Hodgkin lymphoma,Oral cancer,Ovarian cancer,Sinus cancer,Hepatitis A,B/C,Skin cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Stroke,Lupus,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer,Vaginal cancer,Vulvar cancer,
    Testicular cancer,Tach Diseases,Pancreatic Cnacer,Leukemia,Liver cancer,Throat cancer,
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Chronic Diarrhea,Copd,Parkinson,Als,Adrenocortical carcinoma  Infectious mononucleosis. 

    ReplyDelete